Plan your trip
- Nearest national cycle network
If you want to enjoy an exciting destination in a sustainable way we welcome you to explore West Sweden.
This region is a pioneer when it comes to green travelling and was the initiator of Swedish Welcome, which is a members organisation certifying accommodation and experiences. The certificate guarantees that the experience is professionally assessed from a guest perspective and enables confident choices for better experiences and sustainable development. West Sweden has Swedish Welcome members offering a great variety of activities and accommodation. From lobster safaris and sea-kayaking along the Bohuslän coast, to castles, gardens and cosy B&B’s offering organic and local produce. Look for the smiling Swedish Welcome logo, symbolising good choices and happier guests!
Other symbols to look for when choosing accommodation are The Green Key and the Nordic Swan. When you want to explore nature experiences have a look at the Swedish Ecotourism certified eco-activities called Nature's Best. Then, when you’re ready to savor the best local food, find your restaurant among “Taste of West Sweden”. All restaurants that are members of this scheme are working with the best local products. To travel throughout the whole of West Sweden you can plan your trip at Västtrafik (train, bus and tram).
Enjoy exploring West Sweden – the sustainable way.
- Gothenburg has been crowned the Culinary Capital of Sweden 2012 in recognition of its top quality natural produce and use of local food suppliers across West Sweden.
- Centred around the car-free Koster Islands, Sweden’s first Marine National Park, Kosterhavet, contains the country’s highest marine biodiversity.
- Lake Hornborga is a bird-spotting paradise. Each Spring more than 10,000 crane dance by the lake, flying in from Spain to their traditional breeding ground.
- Lake Vänern is Sweden’s largest lake and the third biggest in Europe. Sweden’s lake district, Dalsland, boasts more lakes than any other province in Sweden.
Videos of travelling in West Sweden
Easywalking in Fjällbacka
Outdoor by Göta Canal
Exploring Lysekil in Bohuslän
Outdoor in Dalsland
The Shellfish Journey
Exploring Kosterhavet, Bohuslän
Map of West Sweden
Map © Greentraveller Limited. This map is an approximation to show the general whereabouts of the locations marked. Greentraveller has done its best to ensure the accuracy of all the information provided, however it can accept no responsibility for any loss, injury or inconvenience sustained by any traveller as a result of information or advice contained in this guide.