Plan your trip
- Electric bike hire point
- Nearest national cycle network
Insider knowledge: Peak District
A word from the National Park Authority
The Peak District is Britain's first National Park for good reason. From rugged moorland to rolling hills and dales, lush meadows to leafy forests, we have some of the country's finest scenery, just waiting to be explored.
Add historic houses, glorious gardens, awesome attractions, a host of quality places to stay and delicious local food and drink, and you have the perfect recipe for a brilliant break.
This Greentraveller Guide to the Peak District highlights those local businesses that have been awarded the Peak District Environmental Quality Mark. The award is given to local businesses that put the environment at the heart of what they do and show passion for the Peak District.
You can be sure that if you stay at, eat at, or buy goods from any of these businesses you are helping to protect the things that make the Peak District special - you'll have an authentic experience that you'll never forget!
Peak District National Park Authority
- Designated way back in 1951, the Peak District was the first National Park in Britain.
- An area of great diversity, the Park is split largely into two areas: the moorland of the Dark Peak, and the limestone of the White Peak.
- Much of the area consists of uplands over 1,000ft, with the highest point, Kinder Scout, standing at 2,087ft.
- The Park is home to 1,600 miles of public rights of way, and 58 miles of cycle trails.
- Around 35% of the Park is designated as a 'Site of Special Scientific Interest'.
- The Park reaches into no fewer than five counties: Derbyshire, Cheshire, Staffordshire, Yorkshire and Greater Manchester.
Videos of the Peak District
Watch this video of The Great Ridge Walk - one of the Peak District's most popular walking routes and a great option if you're looking for a bit of a challenge:
Watch this video for information about Pedal the Peak District, a fantastic initiative that aims to encourage more people to discover the joys of cycling around the National Park:
Peak District National Park, England
Designed and produced by the Peak District National Park Authority. © Copyright 2012. Tel: 01629 816305